The Comptroller has created a new award to recognize outstanding volunteers, organizations and individuals, within the Maryland public school system. The award is called The Golden Apple Award.
Winners will be selected based on their demonstration of superior volunteer work in Maryland public schools.
Countless numbers of men, women and organizations donate their time and resources to volunteer at public schools throughout the state. All without pay and, sometimes, without any recognition. This award will provide the accolades these volunteers truly deserve,” said Comptroller Franchot.
The Comptroller will personally present the awards to each of the 24 winners.
The following people/organizations received the 2012 - 2013 inaugural Golden Apple Award:
- Sabine Harvey - Kent County
- Trish Post - St Mary’s County
- Rev Henry Green/Heritage Baptist Church - Anne Arundel County
- Joann Burl - Montgomery County
- Cecilia Quinonez - Prince George’s County
- Linda Price - Baltimore County
- Tina Mike - Harford County
- Jill Burnett - Carroll County
- Cory McCray - Baltimore City
- Kristy Prenger - Charles County
- Calvert County Board of Education Citizens Advisory Committee - Calvert County
- Florence Chambers - Somerset County
- Mary Harding - Caroline County
- David Wheeler - Talbot County
- Lisa Schlossnagle - Howard County
- Jackie Carter & Marley the Dog - Cecil County
- Garrett Mentors - Garrett County
- Lunchbox Program - Allegany County
- Wicomico Mentoring Project - Wicomico County
- Jackie Carey - Worcester County
- Nikki Moberly - Frederick County
- Heather Placie - Washington County
- Linda Smith Austin - Queen Anne’s County
- Judge Stephen Rideout (ret) - Dorchester County