Back for a second year, the William Donald Schaefer Helping People Award will be presented by the Comptroller to the individuals and organizations in each county and Baltimore City best exemplifying William Donald Schaefer’s lifelong commitment to helping people.
Winners will be selected based on their demonstration of:
- improving the community
- swiftly solving a citizen problem through effective government intervention
- directly aiding the most vulnerable in society or
- creating a public/private partnership to improve the lives of Marylanders.
“We received many nominations during the inaugural season so picking just one winner in each jurisdiction proved difficult. There are countless deserving organizations and individuals, who embody Schaefer’s lifelong drive to help people. It just made sense to accept nominations for a second year,” said Comptroller Franchot.
Nominate a deserving individual or organization by filling in the nomination form.
Nominations will be accepted until May 10, 2013.
The following people/organizations received the 2012 inaugural William Donald Schaefer Award:
- Ms. Adrienne Ottaviani – Allegany County
- HOPE (for all) – Anne Arundel County
- Moveable Feast – Baltimore City
- Little Sisters of the Poor – St Martin’s Home – Baltimore County
- Reverend Robert Hahn, End Hunger in Calvert County – Calvert County
- Mr. Tom Haney – Caroline County Sheriff Gary Hofmann – Queen Anne’s County
- Carroll County Food Sunday – Carroll County
- Emergency Rotating Shelter at Mary Randall Center – Cecil County
- LifeStyles, Inc. – Charles County
- Councilman Richard C. (Ricky) Travers - Dorchester County
- Marvin and Lisa Ausherman, Ausherman Family Foundation – Frederick County
- Former Oakland Mayor, Asa McCain – Garrett County
- Deborah Gavin Merlock, Greater Excellence in Education Foundation – Harford County
- Councilman Dr. Calvin Ball – Howard County
- Ms. Leslie Prince Raimond, Kent County Arts Council – Kent County
- Jewish Foundation for Group Homes – Montgomery County
- Katie Able Foundation – Prince George’s County
- Sheriff Gary Hofmann – Queen Anne’s County
- Health Share of St Mary’s – St Mary’s County
- Crisfield Chamber of Commerce – Somerset County
- Mr. Tom Hill – Talbot County
- Food Resources Inc. – Washington County
- Dr. Spicer Bell, Community Foundation of the Eastern Shore – Wicomico County
- Diakonia – Worcester County