Welcome to the Maryland Unclaimed Property Web site. As Comptroller, one of my top priorities is reuniting Marylanders with their lost or misplaced property. This includes items, such as jewelry, coins and other collectibles, as recovered from abandoned safe deposit boxes. All money collected from auctioned items is kept for the original owner (or rightful heirs) and can be claimed at any time. Here at the Comptroller's Office we take our responsibility to locate the owners of unclaimed property very seriously. Over the years we have reunited over $300 million in cash and items to rightful owners.
As a proud board member of the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators (NAUPA), I will continue to look for new and innovative ways to proactively reunite every Marylander with their unclaimed property. I invite you to:
- Learn about it! What is Unclaimed Property? What forms do I need? How does it work?
- Find it! Search the database to see if you have any unclaimed property.
- Claim it! If you find it, we'll help you claim it.
- Report it!Financial institutions, insurance companies and corporations are required to report contents of safe deposit boxes, bank accounts, wages, insurance benefits, security deposits, stock dividends and other property to our office if they remain unclaimed for three or more years.
- Buy it! We are mandated by state law to place for auction items we have received and kept in storage. These items are now available for sale and are posted for your review on our eBay site.