- fair and courteous treatment under the law.
- clear and comprehensive instructions to help you comply with the law.
- free assistance and personal income tax return preparation at any branch of the Comptroller's Office.
- a copy of a previous filing period tax return at no charge, when requested in writing.
- strict confidentiality of your tax records, within the provisions of the law.
- inspect any record held by the Comptroller's Office containing personal information about you.
The Maryland Taxpayer's Bill of Rights and Consumer Guide: To ensure all taxpayers understand their rights and are informed when filing their taxes, the Comptrollerís Office has created the Maryland Taxpayerís Bill of Rights and Consumer Guide. This publication is designed to educate taxpayers on how to select a tax preparer, their rights and what they can expect when filing a return.